We often think that John 10:17-18 was about the crucifixion and that is it. It is about that. Praise God it is about that. It is about exactly that. However, it is about so much more than that.
We should realize just a few things more.
– Lay down His life – His life in Heaven – home for eternity past, choosing to separate himself from the Father and Holy Spirit, choosing to separate like unto man (Phil 2:6)
– Lay down His life – Painless existence – to a life of cold, pain, emotional turmoil (Is 53:3)
– Lay down His life – Being worshipped – to being hated, vilified (Is 53:5)
– Lay down His life – On streets of gold – to dirt, rocks, cactus, thorn bushes
– Lay down His life – Of spiritual perfection – for a life of temporal imperfection (Rom 8:22)
– Lay down His life – Of blamelessness and truth – for a life of false accusation, false testimony (Matt 26:60)
– Lay down His life – Surrounded by God’s love and people who love God perfectly – to fearful and unhappy people who do not even like themselves most of the time let alone not knowing themselves (Jer 17:9)
This, of course, is not an all encompassing list. It certainly does not include the multitudes of things in Heave we are not aware of. It does not include everything in Scripture we are aware of. It simply gives you a glimpse of His heavenly existence. Remember, He came out of Heaven for you, each of you individually, personally, specifically. (Phil 2:5-8)
We must see more of God than what we see here on earth. We must see more of our Christ than what is visible here on earth. We must see more of the Holy Spirit than the winds that blow across the plains of earth.
Do you see God’s greatness being humbled for your salvation? Do you see the great depth of that humility? The chasm He stepped into took Him from heights of perfection and are humanly unfathomable to the depths of sin that are divinely unfathomable. Do you understand the distance that pendulum swung just to carry you to the other side of the chasm? See God as God in all facets of His work for your salvation. He loves you so very much!